Marinated chicken is a staple in many households as it adds flavor, tenderness, and moisture to your dishes. Whether you’re a novice cook or a seasoned pro, marinated chicken is a great way to elevate your meals. However, it’s important to know how long marinated chicken can stay in the fridge to ensure it stays safe to eat. In this article, we’ll explore everything you need to know about storing marinated chicken and how to keep it fresh for as long as possible.
The Benefits of Marinating Chicken
Marinating chicken is an excellent way to add flavor, moisture, and tenderness to your meals. Marinating involves soaking the chicken (like teriyaki chicken) in a flavorful liquid, which allows the meat to absorb the flavors and become more tender. Some of the benefits of marinating chicken include:
- Flavor: Marinating chicken adds flavor to the meat, making it more enjoyable to eat.
- Tenderness: The acid in the marinade breaks down the connective tissues in the meat, making it more tender.
- Moisture: Marinating chicken adds moisture to the meat, making it less likely to dry out during cooking.
How to Properly Marinate Chicken
Before we get into how long marinated chicken can stay in the fridge, let’s first talk about how to properly marinate chicken. The key to a delicious and tender chicken is all in the marinade. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Choose the right marinade. There are many different types of marinades to choose from, but the best ones are those that are acidic, like lemon juice or vinegar. This acidity helps to tenderize the meat and adds flavor. You can also add herbs and spices to your marinade to customize the flavor.
- Marinate for the right amount of time. The length of time you marinate your chicken will depend on the type of meat and the strength of the marinade. A good rule of thumb is to marinate for at least 30 minutes, but no more than 24 hours. Over-marinating can actually make the meat tough and mushy.
- Store marinated chicken properly. Once you’ve marinated your chicken, it’s important to store it properly. Keep it in a covered container in the fridge until you’re ready to cook it.
How Long Can Marinated Chicken Stay in the Fridge?
Now that we know how to properly marinate chicken, let’s talk about how long it can stay in the fridge. According to the USDA, marinated chicken can be stored in the fridge for up to two days. This is because the acidity in the marinade can break down the proteins in the meat, making it more susceptible to bacteria growth.
However, there are a few things you can do to extend the shelf life of your marinated chicken. First, make sure to marinate the chicken in the fridge, not on the counter. This will help to keep it at a safe temperature. Second, make sure to use a clean container to store the marinated chicken. Finally, make sure to cook the chicken to the proper temperature (165°F) to kill any bacteria that may be present.
Freezing Marinated Chicken
If you want to extend the shelf life of your marinated chicken even further, you can also freeze it. Remember, it’s not a ramen, frozen marinated chicken can last up to nine months in the freezer. To freeze marinated chicken, simply place it in an airtight container or freezer bag and label it with the date. When you’re ready to cook it, let it thaw in the fridge overnight.
Tips for Storing Marinated Chicken
Now that you know how long marinated chicken can stay in the fridge and freezer, let’s talk about some tips for storing it properly to keep it fresh for as long as possible.
- Keep it in a covered container: When storing marinated chicken in the fridge, make sure to keep it in a covered container. This will help to prevent other food items from coming into contact with the chicken and prevent contamination.
- Store it at the back of the fridge: The back of the fridge is typically the coldest spot, so storing your marinated chicken at the back will help to keep it at a safe temperature.
- Don’t reuse the marinade: Once you’ve marinated your chicken, discard any leftover marinade. Reusing the marinade can introduce bacteria and make your chicken unsafe to eat.
- Use a food thermometer: To ensure that your chicken is cooked to the proper temperature, use a food thermometer. Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
Creative Ways to Use Marinated Chicken
Now that you know how to properly marinate and store chicken, let’s talk about some creative ways to use it in your meals.
- Grilled Chicken Skewers: Marinated chicken is perfect for grilling. Cut the chicken into small pieces and thread them onto skewers. Grill until the chicken is cooked through and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Chicken Tacos: Marinated chicken makes a delicious filling for tacos. Cook the chicken in a skillet until it’s cooked through and serve in warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.
- Chicken Stir-Fry: Use marinated chicken in your favorite stir-fry recipe for a burst of flavor. Cook the chicken with your favorite vegetables and serve over rice or noodles.
- Chicken Salad: Marinated chicken is a great addition to salads. Cook the chicken until it’s cooked through and slice it into small pieces. Add it to your favorite salad for a delicious and filling meal.
In conclusion, marinated chicken is a delicious and versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes. However, it’s important to know how long it can stay in the fridge to ensure it stays safe to eat. By following the tips in this article, you can enjoy delicious and safe marinated chicken in your meals. So go ahead and experiment with different marinades and recipes to create your perfect dish.
Recommended article: Does tea have carbs?
Can I marinate chicken for more than 24 hours before cooking?
Marinating chicken for longer than 24 hours is not recommended, as it can lead to over-marination and tough, rubbery chicken. Stick to the recommended marinating times to ensure the best flavor and texture.
Is it safe to eat chicken that has been marinated for several days?
It’s not safe to eat chicken that has been marinated for several days, as bacteria can start to grow and make the chicken unsafe to eat. Stick to the recommended storage times and always use a food thermometer to ensure that the chicken is cooked to a safe temperature.
Can I freeze marinated chicken for longer storage?
Yes, you can freeze marinated chicken for longer storage. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container or freezer bag and label it with the date. When you’re ready to use it, thaw it in the fridge overnight before cooking.
Can I reuse marinade that has been used for chicken?
No, you should never reuse marinade that has been used for chicken. It can contain bacteria from the raw chicken and make your food unsafe to eat. Always discard any leftover marinade and use fresh marinade for the next batch of chicken.
Can I marinate chicken with citrus for longer periods of time?
Citrus can break down the proteins in chicken, which can lead to over-marination and tough, rubbery chicken. Stick to the recommended marinating times for your recipe, and if you want a stronger citrus flavor, add more citrus zest or juice to the marinade before marinating.